We’ve all had those days when we’ve been stuck in a lunchtime ideas rut, haven’t we? In a bid to help you out with that and make sure you look forward to lunchtimes, we’ve rounded up three quick and easy lunchbox recipes that are super speedy to prepare and oh-so tasty.
Ticks all the boxes for protein and good fats and is super-filling so you won’t feel the urge to snack before dinner. All you need is 15 minutes the day before.
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
juice 1 lemon
½ tbsp white wine vinegar
120g can tuna, drained
1 avocado, stoned, peeled and cut into chunks
200g cherry tomatoes on the vine, halved
50g feta, crumbled
50g baby spinach
2 tbsp mixed seeds, toasted
- Rinse the quinoa under cold water. Tip into a saucepan, cover with water and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 mins until the grains have swollen but still have some bite. Drain, then transfer to a bowl to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, in a jug, combine the oil, lemon juice and vinegar with some seasoning.
- Once the quinoa has cooled, mix with the dressing and all the remaining ingredients and season. Divide between lunchboxes.
Chickpeas, yippee salad
This is an all-time favourite with the Fruiteatox team and one of the recipes from our Vegan E-book. This one’s perfect with pitta bread and houmous.
1 can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 stalks of celery, diced
1/3 apple, diced
¼ cup red onion, diced
1 medium carrot, grated
½ cup kale, de-stemmed and torn into small pieces
2 tablespoons fresh coriander
2 heaped tablespoons of Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
fresh juice from 1/2 of a lemon
1 ½ tablespoons sunflower seeds
Wholemeal pitta bread
- In a food processor, pulse the chickpeas a few times until blended but the mixture still has chunks for texture. You can also mash them in a bowl with a potato masher.
- Transfer to a bowl with the rest of the ingredients and mix thoroughly until well combined.
- Adjust salt and pepper to your liking.
Mediterranean courgette medley
Funk up your lunch with spiralised courgettes, we love the fact that they take on some wonderful zingy flavours from the lemon and garlic.
4 medium courgettes
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
2/3 cup artichoke hearts, halved
½ cup pitted kalamata olives, halved
3 tablespoons rapeseed oil
Zest of 1 lemon
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
3 cloves garlic minced
2 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped
½ teaspoon kosher salt
1. Rinse the courgette well, pat them dry and chop the tips and tails off.
2. Using a spiraliser*, make noodles out of all of the courgettes and add the noodles to a large serving bowl. Note: once you get to the last 2 inches or so of the courgettes, it will be difficult to spiral, so you can either grate it or finely chop the rest.
*don’t worry if you haven’t got a sprialiser. You can either cut the courgette into long, thin, matchstick-like strips or shave it into long, thin ribbons.
3. Add the cherry tomatoes, artichoke hearts and kalamata olives to the bowl with the courgettes.
4. Whisk together the remaining ingredients in a small bowl. Pour this dressing over the courgettes noodles and toss everything together.